ASMI AGM And Annual Conference 2009
Thursday 12 November 2009
Australian Technology Park, Redfern, Sydney
This year, ASMI's annual conference and AGM brought together a
formidable array of local and international speakers to examine the
topic: Self Care: How Much Is Your Responsibility?
The issue of self care and personal responsibility has been at the forefront of recent government health blueprints All the major stakeholders in this debate were present to share their expertise and the latest findings from the Australian and international experience.
Click here to view the Final Program.
Master of Ceremonies: Bill Curtis, Managing Director, CJB
The following speakers gave keynote addresses:
- The Hon. Nicola Roxon MP, Minister for Health and Ageing - click here to view a transcript of the Minister's Address
- The Hon. Dr Craig Emerson MP, Minister for Small Business, Independent Contractors & the Service Economy; Minister for Competition Policy & Consumer Affairs; Minister Assisting the Finance Minister on Deregulation
- Chris Horsey, Head of Better Regulation, Department of Health (England) - click here to view Mr Horsey's presentation (PDF format)
- Cavan Redmond, Group President, Pfizer Diversified Businesses* (USA)
- Dr Linda Suydam, President, Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA), ASMI's US equivalent - click here to view Dr Suydam's presentation (PDF format)
- Li Cunxin, dancer, stockbroker & author of
the inspirational autobiography Mao's Last Dancer- now a
There were 2 panel sessions, both moderated by Dr Norman Swan, ABC Radio National's Health Report. Panellists were:
- Carol Bennett, Executive Director, Consumers' Health Forum of Australia (CHF)
- Prof Alan Bensoussan, Executive Director, National Institute of Complementary Medicine (NICM)
- Mario Capanna, Managing Director, Cincotta Discount Chemist
- Natalie Gauld, Director, Pharma Projects Ltd
- Odette Gourley, Partner, Corrs Chambers Westgarth
- Dr Ken Harvey, Adjunct Senior Research Fellow, School of Public Health, La Trobe University
- Dr Tony Hobbs, Chair, National Primary Health Care Strategy External Reference Group
- Prof Stephen Leeder, Director, Menzies Centre for Health Policy (MCHP)
- Steven Mann, Marketing Director Asia Pacific, sanofi-aventis Consumer Healthcare
- Michael Smith, Head of the Office of Complementary Medicines, Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA)
The Hon. Mark Butler MP, Parliamentary Secretary for Health made a short Dinner speech and presented the 2009 ASMI Sales & Marketing Awards. Host of the Awards ceremony was Simon Corah, CEO, Growth Mantra.
* Wyeth is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Pfizer Inc. The merger of local Wyeth and Pfizer entities may be pending in various jurisdictions and is subject to completion of various local legal and regulatory obligations.